Sunday, September 27, 2015

RTWH 2016 Planning Trip: Candidate Events (Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Carly Fiorina)

I was pleased to also have the opportunity to see the Republican and Democratic front-runners for their respective party's nomination up close and personal, as is the way of the New Hampshire first-in-the-nation primary.


I attended the rally with Mr. Donald Trump in Rochester.  There were thousands in attendance.  Indeed, the emcee said this was the largest political event held in Strafford County. I've been to many big political events in Strafford County, and, while I am not sure if this did, in fact, set a record, I must agree that the civic center was packed.  I was interested to go to a Trump event and to see him in person. In part I was wondering if others in the crowd were curious onlookers or supporters.  My impression was that the gymnasium was filled with thousands of enthusiastic supporters.  I was sitting right next to the gentleman who asked the now-famous question about President Obama. What is less reported is that that was one of several questions about Muslims in America.  The beauty of the New Hampshire primary is that someone like Donald Trump, who may not be used to having to answer to anyone, did open up to a question-and-answer town hall style format at the rally. 

This is expected of candidates.  At coffee shops, at house parties, and at town hall meetings, NH primary voters will ask candidates tough questions -- and they will expect answers.  A far cry from Florida's paid media intensive campaigns.  All we get are the 30-second soundbites on TV.  This will be a real opportunity for my students. I am sure they will see not only their own candidates, but also they will likely see other candidates. Up close, in person, and on the spot.

I also attended the Roundtable on College Affordability at UNH led by Hillary Clinton and Governor Maggie Hassan (who endorsed Hillary that day).

At the New Hampshire Democratic Party (NHDP) Convention, I was able to see Governor O'Malley, Senator Bernie Sanders, and Secretary Hillary Clinton. (Those pictures will be in a separate post.)

And just before heading to the airport to fly back to Tampa I was able to attend a coffee with Mr. Frank Fiorina. The campaign was going like gangbusters, seizing the energy coming off the latest Republican debate (which occurred on the eve of my trip to NH).

Mr. Trump greets the band that was playing outside the event as guests arrived

the seating behind me

Mr. Trump enters the civic center in Rochester, NH



It was great to be back on the UNH campus in Durham.

Despite leaving my hotel in Salem before the breakfast was served (when part of my mission was to sample the breakfast), I could tell that when I got there (when doors opened!) that the length of the check-in line did not bode well for my getting in to the event.

the press corps coming out alerted us that we might be in for a surprise

The up-side of being the first in the line to be told that I would be in the over-flow:  being in the front row when Hillary and Governor Hassan came out to greet the hundreds of us who didn't get into the theater.

a shot of the overflow

actually, we could see and hear quite well -- and, probably not as hot as it can get when in a crowded room?

press corps  



It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to meet Mr. Fiorina at a coffee in Nashua

2 comments:

  1. Trip planning Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is very simple to read and appreciate without leaving any details out. Great work! nuremberg sights

    ReplyDelete