Sunday, September 27, 2015

RTWH 2016 Planning Trip: NHDP Convention

It was good fortune that my NH planning trip was scheduled for the same weekend of the NHDP Convention.  It was held at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester.  

Thousands of enthusiastic Democrats filled the arena -- and heard from all of the Democratic Presidential candidates -- as well as from NH leaders such as US Senator Jeanne Shaheen, Governor Maggie Hassan, Executive Councilors Colin Van Ostern and Chris Pappas, Congresswoman Annie McLane Kuster and Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter, and many others. It was electrifying.

In the interest of full disclosure perhaps I should mention that I used to work for the NHDP and have been involved in planning conventions of years past.  I must say that Chairman Ray Buckley and the NHDP staff must get a huge round of applause for pulling off such an amazing event. That has to have been the biggest and best NHDP convention - ever!

For my part, this provided an opportunity to check in with the staff of all of the presidential campaigns (and the Draft Biden movement), and with other "vendors" who were there, such as the C-SPAN Road to the White House team and the NH Institute of Politics at St. Anselm College. 

It was also a wonderful opportunity to connect with old friends and colleagues -- many of whom I will enlist to enrich this course for my students.  (I was particularly excited about the prospect of meeting with Ambassadors Dick Swett and George Bruno when we are back in January. They will be hosting a group of Ambassadors during the primary season.  I am pleased that my efforts to internationalize my courses will continue even in New Hampshire as a part of my Road to the White House class...if we can arrange a brief meeting for my students with the ambassadors to discuss topics such as US foreign policy on the presidential campaign trail.)





with Rep. Mike Rollo, Senator Bette Laske, Senator Donna Soucy, former NHDP Chair Kathy Sullivan, and Ellis Robinson (formerly of Ruth's List in Florida)

with Senator Martha Fuller Clark and Geoffrey Clark


with Chairman of the NHDP Raymond Buckley


with Executive Councilor Colin Van Ostern and former Senator and mayoral candidate Caroline McCarley


Governor Martin O'Malley enters the arena

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton


Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders

No comments:

Post a Comment